05 April, 2016

Plans, Projects and Perseverance

Like any good hobbyist I inevitably end up simultaneously juggling multiple projects. But that's part of the fun isn't it? Sometimes the idea that brings about the genesis of a new project is ultimately for fulfilling than the actual execution.

Finishing a project requires hard work, perseverance and most all, time. These commodities, as we all know, are finite and require careful management. Unfortunately many projects receive a decreasing investment of these commodities, to the point when they reach one of the following fates:

  1. "I'll come back to it later." (You probably never will).
  2. "I wonder what I can sell this for." (Less than what you originally invested).
  3. "I'll finish it quickly and get it out of the way" (It will probably end up being poorly executed).
 The metaphorical destination for all those forgotten projects.
With this thought in mind, I reckoned I should list out all my present concurrent projects (as much for my own benefit as to let you folks know what I'm doing). You know you're in trouble when you have to give it a real long think. Strap yourselves in, here we go:

Wargaming:


  • Warhammer Fantasy 7th edition Beastmen (2000 points). Our gaming group (more specifically Richard and his old gaming cronies) decided they wanted to play Oldhammer, and I stupidly said I'd take part. I'm currently working on getting the first 500 points finished.
  • Flames of War Soviets. The idea was to build a Flames of War army that could be used in any time period in the game (Early, Mid or Late). This is actually kind of complete, everything purchased for it so far is actually built and painted. I need to add a few more units to get it playable at higher points levels, but until then this can safely sit on the back burner without any guilt (safely avoiding fate 1).
  • Flames of War 1945 Berlin Kampfgruppe. Another Flames of War army, this time much more tied to a specific window of time at the end of the war. Anthony Beevor's book 'Berlin: The Downfall 1945' is partly to blame for this. When Battlefront finally released their 'Berlin' source book, I jumped at the opportunity to build a force for this unique period.

  • Post Apocalyptic Car Battles. This one is just about to leave the start line. Think Mad Max and you'll be on the right lines. More on this one soon! 

Media (for want of a better term):


  • Channel Incompetent. This is my lets play channel on Youtube, where I play video games alongside my good friend Steve (who also makes excellent artwork, check out the link in the sidebar). This came about due to a number of random events that I will one day describe in an article of it's own. Needless to say editing is fun, educational and lengthy! Check out the channel. 
  • Special Fried Dice Podcast. This came about when my Thursday night gaming group decided we should record our random mutterings and release it onto the internet. I obliged and brought along my microphone one night and we gave it a go. Three hours editing later we had made something that wasn't awful. It looks like this is going to happen once a month or so. Go and give it a listen. 

Books:


  • The Extended Phenotype - Richard Dawkins. This is the book I'm currently reading. I'm slowly getting through this one. More on this when I finish it and put up a review.

Game Design:

  • I'm currently working on or contributing to the design a couple of rules sets, it is however unfortunately way too early to discuss these in any meaningful matter. Watch this space!
  • Game design (specifically traditional, non video game design) is something I am currently seeking to learn more about academically. I've got plenty of books on the subject lined up to read in the future that's for sure. I hope to share my learning journey here on the blog.

I aim to dedicate a series of articles to each of these projects, so you've got that to look forward to, you lucky people.


No comments:

Post a Comment